Thursday, January 20, 2011

BEETLE-MANIA


Journey

The beetle appeared miraculously inside
my computer keyboard, right below "O."
Stuck there, its bright yellow back
peering out at me. It must be dead,
I thought. Its winter, it must have flown in
and died during the warm months.

But closer inspection revealed tiny,
microscopic legs kicking frantically in the air.
It was alive, desperately seeking freedom.
It looked like a Lady Bug that hadn't flown
home, except it was yellow.

When I touched it, like a possum
It played dead, but after placing it
in a large bowl for safe keeping
and turning my head, I found it
arrogantly perched on the rim.

It did love life.
That's why a moment later
when it disappeared,
I didn't look for it,
instead, I let it go home.

Danny O'Bryan
1/19/11

No comments:

Post a Comment