Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Accident

2004-07-20 12:41:51</logtime>
<subject>Accident</subject>

<event>
Horrible incident last night in Seneca Park during my bike ride. I was coming back from Big Rock and had just made the turn off of Pee Wee Reese Lane when a large group of bikers (probably the Louisville Wheelmen) streaked past me. I was anticipating a few stragglers coming up from back when I heard a loud thud. When I turned around there was a young bicyclist lying in the middle of the road bloody in a ball moaning loudly and complaining he had no feeling in his legs. People were already gathered around him offering aid. He evidently turned directly into a car coming in the opposite direction. The car, which was driven by a woman, and the cyclist hit head on. There was no screeching of tires. The lady  didn't have time to brake and he took the full impact. In recent months there have been several cyclists struck in that same area of the park. And plans are currently under way to change the traffic pattern there.
     One of the dangers of riding in large groups is that some less experienced  riders have trouble keeping up with the pace and often take unnecessary chances that can cause serious accidents. In any case, it was the worst accident I've seen in ten years of bike riding and I'm still in shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment